Hello my fellow food-lovers! Here are some of my best fixes for high volume, low calorie, best bang for your buck foods. So, enjoy a big bowl of some of the following during the Superbowl game almost guilt-free!
- Tofu Shirataki/Pasta Slim Noodles
- Spaghetti Squash
- Any vegetable, ie: sugar snap peas, mixed greens, spinach, mini carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers
- Akmak Crackers
- Roasted Seaweed Bags
- Fat free Fudgecicles
- Mashed Fo-tatoes made with cauliflower
- Egg whites/beaters
- Fruit Salad with unsweetened cocoa powder
- Home-made minestrone soups, or boxed low sodium soups
- Mussels, shrimp, crab, clams
- Corn tortillas
- Orowheat/Arnolds Sandwich Thins or Fillems
- Air-popped Popcorn
High Flavor Low Calorie Condiments:
- Pico de Gallo, Hot Sauce, Balsamic Vinegars, Mustard, Tzatziki, Herbs and Spices, Minced garlic, Onions, Horseradish, Extracts (vanilla, almond, peppermint)
Easy Increase the Volume Trick:
- Chop up your food into smaller pieces and immediately have more volume – think a salad of a few romaine leaves versus a chopped romaine bowl. Which one looks more satisfying?
*Another tip *
- If you are aware that you fall into the ‘more bang for your buck’ volume eater group like myself – do not supplement bars or smoothies for meals! You need to be both physically AND mentally satisfied by your meal. A smoothie will not satisfy you the same way mentally as a big bowl of fruit and yogurt, thus leaving you unsatisfied and more prone to eat more food right after even if the smoothie you just consumed was 600 calories!
Jessica Hummel, Nutrition Counselor