– 6 tomatoes, medium
– 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
– 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, coarse ground
– 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
– 1/2 cup sweet onion, minced
– 3 cups crimini mushrooms, chopped
– 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
– 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
Slice the top off tomatoes, 1/2-inch below the stem. Reserve the tops. Carefully hollow out the inside. Sprinkle the cored and seeded tomatoes with salt and pepper and place upside down to drain.
In a nonstick pan, add garlic and onion. Cook until translucent. Add mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and remove from heat.
Preheat oven to 350 ºF.
Mix together the goat cheese and parsley. Stuff each tomato with the mushroom stuffing and top with thin layer of the goat cheese mixture. Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet and bake for about 7 minutes, until cheese is slightly melted and golden.
Nutrient Info per serving: (serves 6) 62 Calories, 2g Fat, 7g Carbohydrate, 3g Protein, 2g Fiber, 108mg Sodium.