Turkey & Vegetable Stuffed Peppers Recipe
– 6 bell peppers, yellow and red
– Olive oil spray, for the pan
– 24 ounces lean ground turkey
– 3/4 cup sweet onion, chopped
– 1/2 cup sweet potato, blanched and shredded
– 3 cloves garlic, chopped
– 12 ounces marinara sauce, heated
– 1/2 cup carrot, shredded
– 1 1/2 cups crimini mushrooms, chopped
– 3/4 lentils, cooked
– 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
– 1/8 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
– 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
– 1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
– 3 3/4 cup cauliflower
– 2 1/2 tablespoon Parmesan-Romano cheese blend grated
– 3 cups broccolini
Preheat oven to 350 ºF. Add a few inches of water to a large pot with a steamer rack. While heating, slice tops from bell peppers, 1-inch below the stems. Reserve tops. Remove seeds and discard. Steam peppers until slightly soft, about 3 minutes. Remove from pot and drain.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and spray with olive oil. Add turkey and stir for about 5 minutes until no longer pink. Add onions, sweet potato, garlic, carrots, and mushrooms. Stir and cook for 5 minutes more. Add cooked lentils, thyme, salt, pepper, and parsley and blend together.
Carefully spoon mixture into bell peppers. Place peppers in a baking dish and cover with their tops. Add a little water and cover dish with foil. Bake for about 35 minutes, until peppers are soft.
While peppers are baking, steam and puree the cauliflower. Season with grated cheese and salt and pepper, to taste. Steam the broccolini until crisp-tender.
To serve, pour heated marinara sauce around the peppers. Serve with cauliflower-Parmesan puree and steamed broccolini.
Nutrient Info per serving: (Serves 6) 347 Calories, 7g Fat, 50g Carbohydrate, 27g Protein, 17g Fiber, 482mg Sodium.